Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Instrument Panel

I've been waiting for various hardware and tubing, but I haven't been twiddling my thumbs. I'm slowly acquiring the instruments for my plane, and I realized that having a plan in place would make picking up the right instruments a whole lot easier. I spent a few evenings trying to come up with panel arrangements using a photo editor, but I just couldn't get a feel for how it'd look in real life. So I had my local print shop print out a full-scale template of my instrument panel, overlaid with a ¼" grid. I then printed out full-sized instruments, as well as two glass screens I intend to incorporate. I cut all of this out, then used contact paper to make them more wear-resistant. What I ended up with was a completely customizable panel that shows me exactly how large everything will be in the plane. For some reason, this is a lot easier for the spatial reasoning part of my brain to work with. Here's a picture I took, not of a well thought-out layout, but just a quick proof of concept. (It's super blurry because of crummy lighting; the graphics are actually quite crisp. :D)

No comments:

Post a Comment