Saturday, January 7, 2017

Engine DISassembly (Part 4)

Between the holidays and lacking the proper tools half the time, it took me until now to finish gearing the engine apart. Mainly, the prop hub and crank gears were my main difficulties.  The prop hub I removed with the aid of a 3 jaw puller and two 4-foot extensions. One was a piece of angle iron drilled to fit the prop hub holes to keep the crankshaft from turning, the other was a 1" iron tube around a breaker bar.



Once the prop hub was off, the next task was removing the cam and distributor gears. I machined a couple of pieces of aluminum and made a makeshift puller for those. Forgot to take  a picture of that, but it worked. This picture shows the crank before the gears were removed.


The next two pictures are the main bearings, which I'm having difficulty locating replacements for. It seems the 4th bearing (bottom of first pic, right-most in second) is something different than normal, and I'm not sure where to look to find one that matches.



Once I have that figured out, I'll start ordering parts and cleaning things up for reassembly.


No comments:

Post a Comment