Thursday, February 11, 2016

Control Sticks (Part 3)

Continued from Control Sticks (Part 2)
I finished cutting the steel for the main body of the assembly today.  I saved the diagonals for last, since they're the only set whose length is critical. I found a great site that allows you to input tubing diameter and thickness, angle, offset, and generates a template you can print out and transfer to your tubes. Check it out here.

I set up my shop for woodworking, so I had to get creative to cut and grind some of these pieces. I do have an angle grinder, so that got clamped to my workbench, and I cut the curved portions (where the round tube nested inside another round) with that. It was a lot easier than I envisioned it.


I used the RAS to cut my 45* to the rectangular tubing, then used my bench sander/grinder to make the fit really precise. Finally, I attached them to the jig, which will be welded after I cut and fit all my aluminum (in case there are any surprises).


I measured and cut the pushrod/shuttle that will connect the two control sticks, and drilled the ends to accept a 10-32 tap. Unfortunately, I cannot find my 10-32 tap, so this is where I quit for the day.
Continued in Control Sticks (Part 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment