Sunday, August 14, 2016

Outer Wings (Part 2)

Continued from Outer Wings (Part 1)
It's been a month, and I've been making progress. I had some foul-ups, which required tearing foam out and replacing it, but nothing too major. The following pictures show me finishing the main portion of the left wing.

Adding micro and foam to raise a low spot:




Glassing the top:


Flip the plane and repeat. Notice the two holes in the bottom - these were cut to address some slight leaking issues with the fuel tank.


I used a hand plane to shave a little bit of the spars off, so they were at or below the airfoil contour. You can see the wires poking out that I ran for wingtip lighting.




Originally I planned to build a tricycle gear, but decided to go with tailwheel instead. As a result, I needed to change the location of my sump drain on this wing. The original drain will remain plugged rather than torn out and re-glassed, because its proximity to the tank wall makes me unsure I could do so without causing more leaks.


One down, one to go. I learned a few things this time that will make the second wing easier... I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment