Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Outer Wings (Part 5)

I started by sanding down the foam I glued on yesterday to fix the low spot. Once that was sanded to contour, I went ahead and sanded the trailing edge to contour as well. I was a little pressed for time, otherwise I would have finished sanding and gotten ready to glass. I did have time to mix up some more micro, though, so I poured/squeegeed/scraped it into place to finish filling in the low spot. After sanding:


And after adding micro, it's nice and smooth and follows the airfoil perfectly.


I also had time to use a wire wheel in a power drill to scrape away the foam within about 3/4" of the trailing edge, and filled that with micro for strength. I did this on the other wing as well, and it's crazy stiff and crazy strong now.


I have to hand plane the spars down a little so they don't stick out, then sand the leading edge and prep it for two more overlapping layers of fiberglass. I also need to cut and attach some prepreg FG strips over the WAFs so I don't lose a ton of vinylester down those cut-outs. After that, I'll be ready to glass the bottom of the wing, then move on to the wing tips.
Continued in Outer Wings (Part 6)

No comments:

Post a Comment